Homework for my Saturday Class on Raqs Baladi
• Listen to music.
• Watch taqsim and baladi clips on blog.
• Posture: Practice your posture all through your daily activities. Take moments out to see how tall you can become. Think about lifting your ribcage with a each inhale and pulling in your core with each exhale, keeping your shoulders relaxed. Think about what direction your pelvic triangle points, and use your deep, low abdominal muscles to adjust your pelvic alignment when you walk, stand or dance to shoot for a neutral alignment. Be aware of how this may differ from how you normally align.
• Arm path drills
• Shoulder shimmy
• Hip lifts
• Hip slides
• Hip circles - Remember to keep the abs engaged throughout the movement. Using the glutes to push through to the front and the abs to pull back.
• Hip hits
• Stomach pop
• Shimmy drills - We used Hanna Drumzilzia - Strictly Bellydancing Vol 5 - Eddie 'the Sheik' Kochak in class.
• Vertical Figure 8 - Maya and Egyptian (Note that this move was named after Maya Medwar - Mayan is not the correct name...)
Extension work for advanced dancers
• Taqsim practice! 1. Find an instrumental piece of music and practice taqsim movements. 2. Practice taqsim movements to a baladi progression.